Church School Program
At RPC, we offering church school during the worship hour and split the children into four classrooms. Children under age 3 are welcomed and cared for in our fully staffed nursery which is located just outside our sanctuary.
Preschool to Grade 1: This group uses a curriculum called Children and Worship. Children and Worship involves students in a multi-sensory way so they can experience the Bible stories and experience the wonder and mystery of God at their level. Using wooden figures and “I wonder” questions children are exposed to God’s word in a similar format that we hear God’s word in our own corporate worship. This class meets in Room 3.
Grades 2-4: This group uses a curriculum called DIG-IN. This online resource provides a wide variety of options and allows teachers to customize the lesson plan online and print only what is needed. The curriculum offers a multitude of crafts, hands-on activities as well as audio and video resources. This class meets in Room 1.
Grades 5-9: This group also uses the curriculum called DIG-IN. This online resource provides a wide variety of options and allows teachers to customize the lesson plan online and print only what is needed. The curriculum offers a multitude of crafts, hands-on activities as well as audio and video resources. This class meets in Room 2.
High School Youth – Grades 10 and up: This year we are excited to start a new Discovering Discipline program.
What is Discovering Discipleship?
Catechism is the ancient Christian tradition of teaching others our faith and helping them grow in their discipleship. As one of the early church teachers said, “Christians are made, not born.”
- Discovering Discipleship is based on the Presbyterian Church in Canada’s curriculum, A Catechism for Today. Our new program has added cultural touchpoints to help the teens discover how their faith impacts their lives and the world. Taylor Swift and The Avengers will be definitely be making appearances!
- This is a pilot program that was funded by a grant from Presbyterian Innovative Ministries fund.
- The curriculum is intended to be the foundational year of a three-year program for high school students. The full program will involve:
- Grade 10: Foundational – learning what it means to be a Christian
- Grade 11: Missional – learning how faith works in the world, including a mission trip
- Grade 12: Vocational – learning how to integrate faith into vocation, inviting mentors to speak to the teens as they follow God’s calling
- It is hoped that after this pilot program, Discovering Discipleship is something that can be shared with other congregations.
- The group will meet a few times a month, during the Sunday morning service. There is a total of 20 sessions
- The first session is September 15th and will conclude in June 2020.
Kidz Club and High School Youth Group
Once a month, Kidz Club (children in grades 4-7) and High School Youth (grades 8-12) meet separately for fun, social activities either in-house or outside in the community. Be sure to check out the Kidz Club/Youth Group link for current events.